Please dial 985-1110, ext. 0, to report your student’s absence to Mary or Karen.
Absences & Tardies
The reasons why students can be absent or tardy from school are limited by Maine law. Under state guidelines, the following may be excused:
- Personal illness
- An appointment with a health professional that must be made during the regular school day
- Observance of a recognized religious holiday when the observance is required during the regular
- school day
- A family emergency, death or serious illness in the immediate family
- A planned absence for personal or educational purposes which has been approved, in advance,
- by administration
- Subpoenas and court orders
- School sponsored activities and field trips
- Absences due to disciplinary suspensions
- Other exceptions as reviewed by the Principal
Schools are required to report student attendance information to the Maine Department of Education. Please refer to the Academic Attendance Policy section of the KHS Student Handbook for detailed information regarding daily attendance, tardiness, and dismissals. Working together we can achieve the best educational experience for your student.
If your son or daughter has a scheduled appointment and needs to be released early from school, please send in a note the morning of the appointment so the main office staff can give your son or daughter a dismissal pass. By giving him/her a dismissal pass to give the teacher, we do not have to interrupt the classroom to dismiss the student. Your child will be waiting for you in the main office.
If your son or daughter will be out of school for three or more days for a planned vacation, medical issue, etc., please send a note to the main office at least a week in advance, so your son or daughter can get his/her assignments from teachers ahead of time.