Submit to Superintendent of Schools Office:

  • Completed Work Permit signed by parent/guardian

*(If guardian – provide guardianship papers)

  • Provide proof of age (birth certificate or passport)

  • Present current grades (during school year only)

Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.

In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be: (1) enrolled in school; (2) not habitually truant or under suspension; and (3) passing a majority of courses during the current grading period. Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any minor under 16 years old to work.

Once the minor has the promise of a job, he/she (or the parent/guardian) must take proof of age to the office of the Superintendent of Schools along with a completed work permit signed by the parent/guardian. (Acceptable proof of age is usually a birth certificate or passport). Parental/legal guardian permission is required to work. (If a legal guardian is signing the work permit, proof of guardianship must accompany the work permit). During the school year, current grades must be provided and the student must be passing a majority of their classes to be considered for a work permit. The Superintendent or designee will sign the work permit and submit the paperwork to the Maine Department of Labor. Once approved the Superintendent’s Office will contact the parent/guardian or student to pick up the approved Employer Copy at the Superintendent’s office. It is the student’s responsibility to deliver the approved work permit to the employer.

During the school year, a student is allowed only one (1) work permit and must provide a copy of their current grades when applying. A student must be passing a majority of their grades to be considered for a work permit.

During the summer, a student may apply for up to two (2) work permits and is not required to submit their last report card.

** An employer has the right to request a work permit even if a student is 16 years of age. In this case the student would complete the Certificate of Age (no parental approval needed). The student will still need to provide proof of age. The Certificate of Age can be obtained at the Superintendent of Schools Office.